The Gene Technology Ministers’ Meeting (GTMM) is established under the intergovernmental Gene Technology Agreement 2001. It governs the operation of the National Gene Technology Scheme and the activities of the Gene Technology Regulator.
Terms of reference
Previously known as the Gene Technology Ministerial Council and then the Legislative and Governance Forum on Gene Technology, the GTMM:
- issues policy principles, policy guidelines and codes of practice to govern the activities of the regulator and the operation of the scheme
- approves proposed regulations for the scheme
- approves extensions of emergency dealing determinations
- advises on and approves the appointment and dismissal of the
- chairperson of the Gene Technology Technical Advisory Committee (GTTAC)
- chairperson of the Gene Technology Ethics and Community Consultative Committee (GTECCC)
- works with other ministerial bodies on issues related to gene technology, such as making sure regulation is consistent for processes involving genetically modified (GM) products.
- oversees the implementation of the scheme
- considers proposed changes to the scheme for approval
- initiates a review of the scheme in line with the Gene Technology Agreement.
The GTMM is comprised of ministers with responsibility for gene technology from all Australian governments. Members represent all portfolios with an interest in gene technology within their jurisdiction. They are responsible for agreeing a 'whole of government' position on issues the GTMM consider. This makes sure that the national scheme is robust and represents multiple policy and stakeholder perspectives.
|Member||Jurisdiction||Background and experience|
|The Hon. Rachel Stephen-Smith MLA||ACT||
Minister for Health
|The Hon. Dugald Saunders MP||NSW||Minister for Agriculture
Minister for Western New South Wales
|The Hon. Paul Kirby MLA||NT||
Minister for Agribusiness and Fisheries
|The Hon. Meaghan Scanlon MP||Qld||Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef
Minister for Science and Youth Affairs
|The Hon Chris Picton MP||SA||Minister for Health and Wellbeing|
|The Hon Jo Palmer MLC||Tas||Minister for Primary Industries and Water
Minister for Resources
Minister for Disability Services
Minister for Women
|The Hon. Alannah MacTiernan MP||WA||Minister Agriculture and Food
Minister for Regional Development
Minister for Hydrogen Industry
The GTMM usually holds at least one face to face or virtual meeting each year. Issues are considered out of session wherever possible.
This collection contains communiques from the Gene Technology Ministers’ Meeting, previously named the Legislative Governance Forum on Gene Technology.
Related committees or groups
The Gene Technology Standing Committee is a group of senior officials that supports the GTMM.